Volunteers Wanted for 2017
York University’s School of Administrative Studies and the Atkinson Professional Accounting Association (APAA) work with the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario) to hold Income Tax Sessions during the months of March and April. These sessions help low-income individuals fill out their tax returns. Our clients include families and seniors who reside in the community surrounding York, including many new immigrants to Canada.
Since 2005, which was when we first began a pilot project with CPA Ontario, the School of Administrative Studies has logged more volunteer hours of any other accounting program participating in the CPA Tax Preparation Assistance program. Since then, we have placed 1st in the Government/Academe Level in the CPA Tax Preparation Assistance Challenge each year. This achievement has been recognized annually on CPA Ontario’s website.
This year we are having tax sessions in March and April* and are looking for accounting students who wish to gain experience by assisting individuals and families in completing their income tax returns.
Volunteer Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complete income tax returns for individuals that live in the community
- Assist in educating individuals about the benefits of completing income tax returns
- Must have the ability to work independently within a team environment
- Must maintain confidentiality
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Must participate in related training workshop
- Must be welcoming, friendly and open-minded
- Must bring pencils an eraser and a calculator to the training and to the clinic
- Students must have passed ADMS 4561 or be enrolled in ADMS 4561 in Winter 2017 term
- Must be a participant in the CPA Ontario’s Post-Secondary Ambassador Program
- Must have good communication skills
- Must have understanding of the challenges experienced by low-income individuals
- Must be friendly, reliable, responsible, non-judgmental and non-discriminating
- Must have strong English language skills
- Must be flexible and willing to learn
Orientation, Training and Benefits:
- Volunteers are required to attend a 1.5 hour training session at York as well as work in at least one three hour tax session off campus.
* Professor Magee has also been holding monthly clinics at the Yorkgate site outside of the CPA Ontario tax sessions. If you are interested, please email her directly: email@example.com. Training is provided onsite.
Four Steps To Apply and Work in a Clinic:
Register now (don't wait) as a participant in the CPA Ontario’s Post-Secondary Ambassador Program (PSAP) program to get your CPA Ontario ID#.
You need to pay $20. Registration is good until August 31, 2017. Do this now to avoid delays later. If you are a part-time student when you register, the website instructs you to email Customer Service: put York University - CPA Tax Preparation Assistance program in the header of your email to speed up this process. If you are not working towards your CPA you need to tell them.
In early February 2017 before the training sessions, download and print the cases and solutions
In early February the CPA Ontario's materials for the training sessions will be posted here.
First, read these two documents. You do not need to print or bring them with you, but be familiar with the content.
You need to download and print the cases and solutions. Students who do not have a hardcopy of the cases and solutions will not be admitted to a training session.
Cases & Solutions
Students attending a training session must print and bring along all of these documents plus pencils, erasers and a calculator. If possible, please also bring a CRA Tax Forms 2016 booklet to the training session. (There is a Forms book and a Guide.) This Forms booklet contains two blank copies of the T1 jacket as well as other forms and is available in most post offices (usually in a box on the floor).
Get trained by Professor Fleming, CPA, CA in February 2017
Attend one of the eight training sessions below. No registration is required. Arrive early with your cases and solutions, pencils, eraser and calculator. Room capacity in 222 Atkinson is 12 persons. Be early! Our sessions fill up every year and the earlier you train, the more choice you will have.
Please do not bring any electronic devices to our training session -- tax preparation in this scenario is done with paper documents and we will be working on this printed material, not online.
222 Atkinson Building
- Thursday Feb. 16 from 3 to 4:30pm
- Thursday Feb. 16 from 4:30 to 6pm
- Tuesday Feb. 21 from 3 to 4:30pm
- Tuesday Feb. 21 from 4:30 to 6pm
- Wednesday Feb. 22 from 3 to 4:30pm
- Wednesday Feb. 22 from 4:30 to 6pm
- Thursday Feb. 23 from 3 to 4:30pm
- Thursday Feb. 23 from 4:30 to 6pm
At the end of the training session, you sign up for a tax session with Professor Fleming. You need to indicate your email address and your CPA Ontario ID # from Step 1. The times and dates to choose from are on the next page. Professor Fleming will send the sign in sheets to CPA Ontario with verification that you are trained and have passed or are enrolled in ADMS 4561. You will then get an email from CPA Ontario with a confirmation letter showing the clinic you are registered to volunteer in.
Be early. Bring a calculator, sharp pencils, eraser, scissors and a stapler. The returns are done manually and tax return forms will be provided.
Tax Session Times and Location:
The tax sessions will be held at three locations in North West Toronto:
3 tax sessions from 2 to 5 pm at Jane Finch Community Ministry,
Unit 107- 36 Marsh Grass Way, North York M3N 2X4,
(intersection: Jane/Finch, south of Finch)
Supervised by Professor Fleming:
- Tuesday, February 28
- Tuesday, March 7
- Tuesday, March 21
4 tax sessions from 10 am to 1 pm at Doorsteps Neighbourhood Services,
40 Falstaff Ave., Unit 104, North York M6L 2E1
(Intersection: Jane/Wilson, just south of the 401)
Supervised by Professor Magee:
- Monday March 13
- Wednesday March 15
- Monday March 20
- Monday March 27
6 tax sessions from 10 am to 1pm at York University - TD Community Engagement Centre, Yorkgate Mall, Suite 232
(intersection: Jane/Finch, northwest corner)
Supervised by Professor Magee.
- Thursday March 2
- Monday March 6
- Wednesday March 8
- Thursday March 9
- Friday March 24
- Monday April 3